Blackwater Writing Project

September 14, 2009

So kids say the darnedest things. I guess it depends on the age as to just how funny it really is. For a toddler learning to talk, it is easy to misunderstand or to have them say something completely out of place. Recently, I was trying to help a kindergartner say “asks.” Well we got “ask,” “axe,” “askes,” and a few other options before proudly he said “ass.” We gave up then because giggles took over.

Another student had a conversation with his mom recently. She thought it was too funny not to pass along. She was helping him with his homework, and wasn’t sure if he understood a word she had used. So she asked him if he knew what it meant, or could he figure it out. To her surprise, the answer was not yes or no. Instead, he looked at her with his head cocked and said, “Mom, do you forget who my teacher was last year? She had a dictionary in her brain.” I swear my vocabulary is not so easily accessed. LOL

Though, that reminds me of an evening during the summer. We had friends over to bbq as payment for proofing my paper. She read it and asked me about 3 words she had never heard of. Reticent was the first. Her and her husband called their friends and co-workers asking if they knew the word and if so did they use it. No one knew it. I called my mother-in-law. She didn’t know either, but an hour or so later she called to say she found it in the dictionary LOL Of course. I even called my parents in England. At least they knew it and one even uses it.

My own kids have said many things over the years; of course I cannot recall them at this time. My youngest son has always had a huge independent streak, and this often gets him in trouble. To prevent him running off one day, I held his hand, tightly. Of course he objected. To his credit, he offered a solution. He would hold his own hand. He never understood my repeated “No.”

I had at one time started writing down funny things the kids said, I think I can find them. I usually know where things are.

I have waited all day to sit and do this, and now I am here all I can think about is how soon my assignment is due LOL guess that means a late night again. Normally not an issue, but hubs is still home. Oh well, maybe one day I will quit taking classes and just relax. Then I will be bored. So I better find another solution. Could offer to keep grandkids, but they are too far away.

I am still being asked by the kids at school if I like teaching or being in the library more. I remind them I am still teaching, but they don’t see it as being the same. I do enjoy it though. I get to see a wider variety of kids, and they now have a library where talking and sharing books is fun. I just have to get them to stop putting books wherever there is a dot the same color. However, since that was the way they did it for years, it will take a while. A few have asked why it makes a difference. I show them how easy it is to locate a book when they are in order. This has helped a lot. One student was determined to put books wherever she chose. I pulled them from the shelf and made her take 4 others to file. 30 minutes later she had completed that, She comes in and looks for books now and has even shown others how to take books and put them back or in another appropriate area.

This year, I am teaching a reading class. 5th grade (9 of them). They are the top of their class and a few are gifted. Having a chance to explore new challenges and push them is fun because they want to do it. Only one of them is having a hard time, and we haven’t quite figured out how to get her working on track. It likely has to do with her family. Her siblings are frequently in trouble, so at least she is staying out of that.

Now my kids are older, the tones of their conversations have changed. The chat is so different, and at times hysterical simply because they all have a knack of using the wrong word. Sounds right, similar, but so wrong. LOL

Well as usual I have rambled and waffled. Who knows what I will write next.

2 Comments:

  • Speaking of words, I learned a new one today: janky. The sentence shared was "Bess's teeth are janky." It's not a good look. I seriously like my students.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:53 PM  

  • lol I am glad. For a while there you had some winners.

    By Blogger Diana Chartier, at 12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home