Blackwater Writing Project

June 24, 2009

Picture Day (Really)

Picture day is never a great day. I am far from what you would call photogenic. I remember back when I used to teach at Coffee High School, when it would come time to take faculty pictures for the year book, the yearbook advisor would send around this student with a digital camera and the backdrop would be your classroom door. I hated these pictures. Either the student did not know how to work the camera or I would not be prepared for the picture. I guess that is why I never bought a yearbook.

This fall was Joshua’s first year of school. He started Pre-K and of course, every time the moon changes it seems, they are always taking professional pictures. I came time for Joshua to take his yearbook picture and we dressed him up and sent him to school. About a week later we got the proofs back to place our order. All you could see of my 5 year old was his nose, chin and neck. The photographer some how had screwed up the picture. Well I said, no problem, we will just wait until next week and do retakes when they come back. When next week came, Joshua’s teacher sent a note out that said for all students taking retake pictures, there is a $15.00 sitting fee. I thought this was ridiculous. I contacted the photographer and explained the situation and he politely told me that he would not be responsible for my child’s inability to stand still. I could not believe that this nut was taking aim at my son. I told him, you only took a picture of half of his head! Well, needless to say we had it out, I paid the $15.00 for the retakes, but I made sure he knew that I did not appreciate the way he ripped people off. By the way, this year we have a new company taking pictures for our school. Seems like school board members do not like getting ripped off either.

2 Comments:

  • I think kids take the cutest photos. Most of my favorite pictures involve nieces and nephews and big family gatherings like the kickball game.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:00 AM  

  • I think you are so funny. What is funny is that the photographer got his money, but you felt better having your say! That makes me laugh!

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home