Blackwater Writing Project

April 13, 2009

"Not an Artsy Fartsy Response"

How can you ever follow a posting by le profesor?  (Yes, I know that I probably jumbled both French and Spanish on that one, but I figured that it was time for you to get inside my brain!)  I will not even attempt to be cultured.  Instead I will be the little uncultured Asian that I am.  

I am not a good drawer.  I never have been.  Strangely, my stick figures at 29 were not much different than the one that I did in kindergarten.  Why I should choose to even mention stick figures is 1) a drawing I did in kindergarten is one of my most prized possessions 2) I refuse to draw stick figures for middle schoolers.  Let me start with the stick figure picture first.  

When I was little, I was told to draw what I wanted to be.  So I drew with a black crayon a stick figure with a skirt, ratty hair, and one eye bigger than the other.  My teacher had to have asked me what I wanted to be because there is no way that you would have gotten "school teacher" from my pitiful drawing.  So in brown marker she wrote below the purple dittoed "I want to be" a school teacher.  The thing that I love the most about the picture is that one eye is bigger than the other.  Clearly, I had a good sense of self even then.  (FYI: I am far-sighted in one eye and near-sighted in the other.)       

As for why I refuse to draw stick figures, let me start by explaining that at my school, we do SAT words with little pictures to help them remember the words.  The students are supposed to draw the pictures, and I would try to get students to volunteer to draw on the board for me. But if they wouldn't I would be stuck drawing the picture for them.  One day, I was in a hurry, and my stick figure ended up with a little something extra.  Needless to say, Ms. Elmore never drew stick figures ever again. 

    

  

3 Comments:

  • I wonder what that would be called: Stickagra.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:44 PM  

  • I started staring at Rebecca, trying to see if one eye is larger than the other.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:37 PM  

  • Rebecca, I like your post very much except for one thing: you're not uncultured in the least. And the stick figure part is so funny. I'm right there with you. HAHAHA!

    By Blogger Matt, at 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home