Blackwater Writing Project

March 05, 2009

Game, Set, and Match

Actually, this is my first post to the blog, and I do not know how to play this game. Surprising, as one of the technical liaisons, I am suppose to embrace all new technology; however, bits and numbers are more comforting in some ways than revealing the self. How does one play at technology? My students do it all the time (even during class if I don't stop them). What is the attraction of twittering, blogging, Facebooking, and texting?

Texting . . . have you tried walking across campus without having to dodge students so intent on texting that they don't even watch where they are going? Is it a new status game that they have concocted, saying I have the technology and I must use it as I am so cool? Have they read the reports that texting rewires the brain? Are they hoping for that? Even in class, they hold their phones down below desk level, hoping that it won't show that they are not paying attention. It is their game of putting one over on the teacher. What is so important that they cannot show the slightest bit of respect to the teacher? Oooh, I'm venting now, hence, the attraction of blogging, laying it out there for potential readers.

Actually, tweets are more attractive to me in that they are so compressed in size if I would learn how to do it. I am not really interested in posting what I am doing every minute of the day. That doesn't stop some people. Why do some of our legislaturers feel that they are doing their constituency a service by twittering away their day and the current status of bills that most people are not paying any attention to? Venting again. I will try to stop.

Facebook, which if you are a Catholic, you should give up for lent. What does that say about the use of the site. That it is indulgent? Sort of eating too much chocolate? Even though I have started a Facebook page with the hopes of reconnecting with my widely dispersed family, it is not anything like chocolate to me. Therefore, it must be the attraction of social competition, a game to see how many friends you can accumulate and who has the most outrageous post. Limiting my Facebook page to my relatives has really left that game kinda flat for me. Oh well. On that flat note, I will end my first post. ;-)

1 Comments:

  • I have to admit that I'm guilty of texting. I prefer it to talking often, particularly for just leaving quick messages, such as "Don't forget to make a doctor's appointment," or "Start the washing machine after you shower." I mean, seriously, I don't want to talk about those things. It's another version of the Post-In note, an enhanced version. Texting is always less strenuous for the non-socialites among us.

    I'm also enamoured of Facebook, mostly because I'm reconnecting with friends from college and high school. Yes, those connections are tenuous, but they're there. I admit to a moment of panic when someone posted pictures from college to Facebook, but once I scanned them they were fine. The moment of panic, though, was not fun.

    Anyway, it's good to have you aboard the blog. Let's figure out a day when we can go to the Tech Shop to buy Expressions. Maybe Wednesday?

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home