Blackwater Writing Project

April 13, 2009

First time poster...

I've never posted to the BWP blog before or really ever blogged. I started one a few days ago and only have about four posts. I'm not too sure if I like it or not. There's something silly about writing on this forum. What on earth makes me feel qualified to write in such a public forum for others to read or censure? But then maybe every artist asks that question. When Andy Warhol was painting his Campbell soup can paintings or Marilyn Monroe, he had to ask himself if what he was doing was art. Was it art? Is it art now? Did we have to catch up with his creative mind before it could become art? Blogging is more public than Warhol's work but I wouldn't say it's an art--or at least I'd say writing is an art but the act of putting it online doesn't add an artistic dimension. So what are we doing here? I suppose we're perfecting our art, if you can call what I've written art.

I seem to have wrecked my train of thought so I'll let my first post end here. I look forward reading everyone else's.

Darcy

3 Comments:

  • It doesn't help that Rebecca, Lindsi, and I were talking while you were trying to write. I absolutely cannot handle noise while I'm writing--at least not words. Instrumental music is fine. I wouldn't call my blogging art, but I think our writing might be a reaching toward art. Some writing is art, but first-draft writing rarely is, but that's just my initial thought. Welcome to the blogosphere.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:36 PM  

  • At least you have a train of thought, which is more than I can say of myself.

    By Blogger Matt, at 10:44 AM  

  • I can relate to your comments about the public forum. It's one thing to write for personal reasons and quite another to post your writing for the world (sort of) to see.
    You're a great writer-you have nothing to fear--

    By Blogger wendyb, at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home