Blackwater Writing Project

April 15, 2008

Communication

Last week, I returned to work at Hahira Middle School to no Internet. At first, it was refreshing. If there is no Internet, then there are no angry e-mails from parents asking me why I haven't updated my grades since February, which was impossible since the 3rd nine weeks ended in March. I digress . . .



Tuesday came along, and yet again no Internet. But it posed a new problem: we had to print out our 5th period rosters so that the lunchroom would have their ID numbers. Because my team rotates classes, I could not just print out a roster from class XP. So, my class was close to 10 minutes late to lunch.



There would also be no checking out of books from the Media Center during this time. Why? Because the computers were down. Thank goodness my students could still do SuccessMaker. I would hate for them to miss the opportunity to have lunch detention with me for not doing it.



By Wednesday, the Internet was up and running. Ironically, there was no all-call to announce that we were up and running unlike the frequent announcements earlier in the week that "The Internet is down."



I hate to admit that I missed the Internet, but I did. Every once and a while, I would sit down at my computer and click on the familiar icon just to see if I would be transported to my homepage, http://www.nyc.gov/. I longed to see Mayor Bloomberg's smiling face. Oh, the profound disappointment I felt when I was unable to connect! Like calling a lover only to hear the phone ring incessantly. (Okay, so I'm exaggerating.)

When did the Internet become a part of daily life? I think my feelings of withdrawal were compounded by the four days that I spent in Washington, D.C. with only a cell phone and an Ipod as forms of entertainment.

I left for Washington on April 2 to attend the NWP's annual Spring Meeting. I stayed at Toutorsky Mansion, where I had a bed and a desk. Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining; I actually was happy to be free of distractions because I had about 100 pages to read for my grad class and plenty of papers to grade. But there is something about having background noise to keep you company. And Internet to distract you.

The Internet is great. Where else can I find shoes for my size 5 feet? I have traveled to New York, Chicago, Washington, and let me tell you, THEY DO NOT HAVE SHOES FOR SIZE 5 FEET! I am also able to buy wedding presents for my friends and former cheerleaders and baby presents for babies far away in exotic places like Texas. Best of all, I can buy box sets of Homicide: Life on the Street because no place in Valdosta carries it. Life indeed is good.

1 Comments:

  • Yeah, I've been doing the Internet withdrawal thing lately. It's tough--even for those of us with size seven feet and more shoe options.

    The name of the hotel is priceless. You're probably the only BWP person to stay in a mansion. Lucky you!

    I wonder what everyone has as a webpage. I have the VSU homepage because it makes checking email easier.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home