Blackwater Writing Project

April 15, 2008

Communication Meltdown

I've probably written about this before, but it's one of my favorite misunderstandings. Wes and I were watching _America's Funnest Videos_ one night, and some young child was playfighting with her brother, shouting, "You want a piece of meat?!" I guess she didn't understand the concept of "a piece of me." For a while whenever Wes or I bugged each other just a little bit, we'd glare at the other and say, "You want a piece of ham?" We received strange looks for quite a while.

The creme brule cheesecake at Hildegard's is really good tonight.

My mind isn't on communication or misunderstandings. Instead, I keep thinking about the packing to do, the early morning flight, the lack of sleep for twenty-four hours--yuck. But then I think about the beaches, the Parthenon, walking in the steps of Greek gods and goddesses, and I'm willing to overlook the headache of getting there. Renee said we need to rent mopeds on Santorini--it's a great way to see the island. I just can't wait. I want to fast-forward through the next twenty-four hours and be there.

Misunderstood lyrics: Yeah, I'm pretty notorious for this one.

"Suicide blonde" = "soup and salad bar"--I guess I was hungry that day

And yet, despite my notoriety, I can't think of another example that's clean enough to put on the blog. Hmm, my mind really isn't firing on all cylinders right now.

My mind stalls, laughing at me while I fumble for meaning. I scan the bookshelves before me, looking for inspiration. Nothing. I see a big book on mythology. How appropriate. Ooh, there's a book called _Finding What You Didn't Lose_. That's an intriguing title. I wonder what I need to find.

The search is on:
  • more time--I desperately need to find more time in the semester, in the day, in the week.
  • willpower--I should have resisted the cheesecake, but I thought, "I should treat myself. Tomorrow's going to be a rough day." I wonder what my excuse would have been if I were in town tomorrow.
  • a maid--okay, I know I haven't lost this because I've never had one, but I really want someone to come clean the house every other day or so. It feels lazy of me to admit this, but it's part of the more time problem. Perhaps paying someone to help out will give me more time. I'll just start to consider my time more valuable . . .
  • sleep, sleep, sleep

I need way more than I can list right now.

Sorry. I feel dull tonight, no sparkling wit, no funny stories, just a mind distracted, pulled in different directions. Maybe next time I write I'll be smarter.

3 Comments:

  • In case anyone wants to see other common misheard lyrics, check out this website: http://www.kissthisguy.com/

    It's pretty funny.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:21 PM  

  • Here's my favorite misheard lyric from the webpage:

    "Let's pee in the corner.
    Let's pee in the spotlight."

    I'm sure you can guess the song. It's REM, hint, hint, hint.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:27 PM  

  • How was Greece? I wish I could have fit in your suitcase. What a super trip! I hope you have had a wonderful experience and I can't wait to read all about it.

    By Blogger Sheri, at 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home