Blackwater Writing Project

November 26, 2007

Teaching Goals

I was just writing my last notebook entry for the semester for a writing class that will no longer exist, and I wondered what the students would take with them--if anything. Because I prefer to think I make a difference, I started listing some of those ideas, hoping you would help me flesh out the list.
  • Teachers should be writers; if they aren't, they cannot provide much insight into the writing process.
  • Teachers should take risks with writing, not always playing it safe.
  • Teachers should write with students, sharing their own miscues and successes.
  • Teachers should create some safe zones, places for experimentation rather than strict grading.
  • Grammar should be taught within the context of students' own writing rather than as a separate pool of knowledge unrelated to writing.
  • Laughter is a necessary part of writing.
  • Students should encounter standards at some point in the writing process; writing is not simply touchy feely.

What do you think? What am I missing? Where do you disagree?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home