Blackwater Writing Project

February 10, 2011

Please and Thank you

After my best friend and I moved out of the house we decided to drive to Tallahasse for the day. Just for fun because we were adults and could do that. Jessica, who talks to her parents every day, told her parents our plans for the day. I called Daddy a few days later to catch up for the week explaining I had spent Saturday in another state. He was none too pleased. The conversation went something like this:

Dad: You did what?
Me: We went to Tallahassee.
What for?
Just because. We looked around at the mall and ate at Olive Garden.
You couldn't do that in Valdsota?
No sir, we don't have an Olive Garden.
Did anyone go with y'all?
No, just me and Jess.
Do you know how dangerous that is?
(Big fat sigh from me.)

Another similar conversation occured with my mother. Mama lived five hours away from me at the time. I hated driving in the daylight because the roads were always so busy. I discovered it was easier to leave after class around seven and arrive in Dalton around midnight. The conversation went something like this:

Mama: What time are you leaving?
Me: After class.
What time is that?
Around seven if she doesn't keep talking. Sometimes she forgets to let us out on time.
Do you mean to tell me you are planning to drive up here, through Atlanta, in the middle of the night?
Well, yes.
Nikki! It will be dark. (You should really hear my mother say my name when she is exasperated with me. Her Scarlett O'Hara personality comes out.)
Mama, my jeep has headlights.
(Big fat sigh from my mother.)

I'm not sure why everyone is concerned with where I'm at all the time. It seems as though it is easier to discuss plans with my parents in advance as though in a simple "here's what's going on in my life right now" kinda of way. It works better for all parties involved even though I have a husband with a black belt.

At school I feel like I am always asking permission for lesson plans. I'm a talk-thinker. Therefore I have to ask my colleagues, "So, could I do A and then B and then change directions again so they are really confused and then take their product and hot glue them on the wall outside my door?" My AP now tells me, "Nikki, sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission." (Seems to be a popular theme for the blog this month.)I only follow this adage if we are in cahoots together on something. One day I will be the one in charge and won't need to ask anyone for permission. One day. You just wait.

1 Comments:

  • I can't wait to see what it's like when you're in charge. And I worry a little about you and a hot glue gun . . . just saying.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home