Blackwater Writing Project

June 16, 2010

Picture Day

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. It's that time again. The annual trek to Wes Sewell Photography to take headshots and the ISI group photo.

I have never been a picture type of person. When I was a cheerleading coach, I was amused by my cheerleaders who would take pictures of everything. Who knew they were smarter than I was. I eventually got on the camera train when I took over Varsity, and I treasure those pictures, especially now that I and my girls have left the halls of Coffee High. Some went on college hours from home; others moved as far away as Europe while some left Douglas only to discover that there is no place like home. Anf many are married and with children. I am thankful for the advent of Facebook, so I can see the next generation's picture days.

As an adult, I try to avoid picture day. At PGM, I thought that if I ignored the all calls about faculty pictures, I wouldn't have to take one because it had worked at Hahira for the past two years. But I guess at a small school, it's a lot more obvious when the faculty doesn't show up. I argued that I couldn't leave my reading class unattended, but alas, they still made me take my picture. So, if I ever become famous, I'm sure people will be quick to sell E! the picture of me in my PGM hoodie. Not that I plan on ever becoming famous.

I don't like people who are photogenic. Is that mean? That reminds me of a conversation from lunch on Mother's Day. I was at O'Neal's with my other adoptive family, the Grants. Susie, the youngest, told us a story about how a co-worker, while looking at family pictures posted on Facebook, stated that both John and Susie were unphotogenic. The irony is that John and Susie are in-laws. I wonder what the co-worker looks like.

Now I'm thinking about who in my life I think is photogenic and what makes a person photogenic. Is it just that he/she is attractive? Or is it something else? I'd like to think that the camera sees something that the eye doesn't. Let me go check my theory. Okay, I'm back. Now I'm wondering if there is a difference between photogenic and cute. Or are they synonymous? Can a cute person not be photogenic? Are all children, because they are children, photogenic? Do you lose your photogenic-ness at a certain age? If so, what is the expiration date? Or, can you, with proper training, become photogenic? (This reminds me of a certain friend's advice to stick out your chin to avoid having a double-chin although this resulted in her looking like a bird in family pictures.) Still, I think I shall be sticking my chin out this afternoon. And maybe some other body parts. :)



1 Comments:

  • Oh my gosh, you SO don't know yourself. You are photogenic. We rarely get bad pictures of you! Um, but I still want to see the picture of you in your PGM hoodie. Can that go on Facebook, even if only for a day or two?

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home