Blackwater Writing Project

June 15, 2010

Rituals

I am extremely ritualistic. About some things. For example, before I use my computer, I always take off my watch. When I get home, I have to take out my contacts although I don't always wash my face. (I know, I know.) And prior to this week, to keep me company while I ate, I would put on a DVD of Law and Order, whether it was the original, SVU, or Criminal Intent.

Some rituals are easier to follow than others. Since school got out, I have been going to the SRC at least three times a week to train for a 10k. Now that we are in the SI, I am up to four. Last week during me and Shane's writing marathon, I was surprised to discover that I could actually run for 25 if I had someone to compete with. Yesterday, I went back on my 10k training plan with the exception of running the first mile then running for six minutes at a time. Admittedly, it makes the 30 minutes on the treadmill go a lot faster. That's pretty much my goal for the 10k.

Sorry to bore all of you with my running nonsense, but it is one of the rituals that I am truly consistent with. And I think that it's because of how it makes me feel. As much as I dislike it, I think about how I would feel if I didn't go. And to quote Elle Woods, "Exercise gives you endorphines. Endorphines make you happy. Happy people don't just shoot their husbands. They just don't." So, I don't have a husband. Apply it to the general public.

Another ritual that I have is getting up super early to do work. God bless poor Lorelai. She just doesn't know what to make of me. I was just talking to my mother about this last night. I am fierce about separating my home life from school life, and for as long as I can remember, I have gone to school early, stayed late, or gone in on the weekend to get things done. (If only I could learn not to bring things home.) I wish that this was a ritual that I could break, but after ten years of teaching, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Thank goodness I work at a school, that during the school year, I can get in whenever I want to. And aside for inconveniencing my dog and my mom, who has to love me no matter what, I'm not causing any problems for anyone else. But me.

Do I wish that I could go to bed and get up at a normal hour? Yes. Maybe I need to go to procrastinator's rehab or something to reprogram my brain.

In the meantime, I will be proud of the fact that at least I am exercising, eating right, remembering to bleach at night (though not wear my retainers), and making it to church at least twice a month. (Three times if I'm on a roll.)

2 Comments:

  • Well, I'm definitely proud of you. I wish I were exercising, just walking, anything to keep me moving. The pregnancy is going to be harder on me if I don't start adding exercise to the mix. Grr.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 10:15 AM  

  • Yep, I have to take off my watch too--also when I write in a notebook. The clacking noise drives me nuts.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home