Blackwater Writing Project

February 02, 2009

Holiday . . . Get Away

People spend too much time together. Perhaps we need a holiday focused on solitude or on reading. Yeah, national reading day . . . do we already have one?


Being naturally curious about holidays, I Googled them. And below is a list I found from this website (http://library.thinkquest.org/2886/feb.htm):


February 1 is . . . . . Serpent Day
February 2 is . . . . . Purification Day
February 3 is . . . . . Cordova Ice Worm Day
February 4 is . . . . . Create A Vacuum Day
February 5 is . . . . . Disaster Day
February 6 is . . . . . Lame Duck Day
February 7 is . . . . . Charles Dickens Day
February 8 is . . . . . Kite Flying Day
February 9 is . . . . . Toothache Day
February 10 is . . . . Umbrella Day
February 11 is . . . . White Tee-Shirt Day and Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day
February 12 is . . . . National Plum Pudding Day
February 13 is . . . . Get A Different Name Day and Dream Your Sweet Day
February 14 is . . . . Ferris Wheel Day and National Heart to Heart Day
February 15 is . . . . National Gum Drop Day
February 16 is . . . . Do A Grouch A Favor Day
February 17 is . . . . Champion Crab Races Day
February 18 is . . . . National Battery Day
February 19 is . . . . National Chocolate Mint Day
February 20 is . . . . Hoodie Hoo DayMore Info on Hoodie Hoo Day
February 21 is . . . . Card Reading Day
February 22 is . . . . Be Humble Day
February 23 is . . . . International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day
February 24 is . . . . National Tortilla Chip Day
February 25 is . . . . Pistol Patent Day (Samuel Colt)
February 26 is . . . . National Pistachio Day
February 27 is . . . . International Polar Bear Day
February 28 is . . . . Public Sleeping Day
February 29 is . . . . National Surf and Turf Day


Given the huge list of crazy days that already exist, I'm not sure I can add more to that list. But let's think about some of these days. First, everyday should be National Chocolate Mint Day. Do you really want to restrict that to just one day? When I visited Athens to review grants, the Georgia Center has a turn-down service and leaves to Andes mints on the beds. Of course, I don't actually need anyone to turn down the sheets for me every night, but I could definitely get used to someone leaving two Andes mints on my pillow, particularly if I didn't have to share with Wes. It would be bad, though, not to notice the mint--ew, what a mess . . .


No day should be Public Sleeping Day. Um, I find that disturbing. Just as no day should be Public Makeout Day. VSU students, are you listening? The West Hall Rotunda is not really designed for either of those two activities that happen on a regular basis. We need the GHP Flashlight Patrol checking the Rotunda during the day, shining lights on offenders.


Since the last Saturday in January is always Rattlesnake Roundup in Whigham, Georgia, Serpent Day makes sense. It just extends the weekend a little.


The juxtaposition of White T-Shirt Day and Don't Cry over Spilled Milk Day confuses me. Are the creators secretly hoping for a wet t-shirt contest? It turns the list of days into a motorcycle rally. I'm not impressed. At least there isn't one of the contests that involves hot dogs on a piece of twine.


Um, Toothache Day? Are we mourning past pain? Being sadists (or masochists?) and enjoying pain? Um, yeah, I think I'll abstain from Toothache Day. But it does remind me of Steve Martin's role as the sadistic dentist in the movie version of Little Shop of Horrors. That's a good memory.

Okay, here's my holiday: Slug-A-Stranger. Everybody gets one random act of violence a year to slug that stranger who is incredibly annoying. This one at Wal-Mart invaded my personal space, standing right next to me as I was ringing stuff up. I had to reach past her to get my next item off the belt. Then when I finished, she bumped into me into me in her rush to start, even though I was still picking up stuff. No apology. Nothing. Just a grandmother I wanted to slug.

We argued a bit at Hildegard's about whether I could use Wes's annual free slug if he wasn't going to use it. I think so. Marriage has benefits. For Valentine's Day, I want his annual slug rather than flowers or candy or standing in line for an hour to eat food from a limited menu. Yuck. Let me hit someone. That's my holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home