Blackwater Writing Project

January 05, 2009

Game Play

Wes is better than I am at every game on the Wii. That's just a tad discouraging. I don't think of myself as competitive until I'm confronted with it. I tend to be more competitive as a team member than alone, so I guess I'm a collaborative competitive person. Does that even make sense?



We play Pictionary every Christmas Eve, almost the whole family. This year we played Cranium, which completely annoyed my nephew who despised the break with tradition, even though we followed Cranium with Pictionary. Still, one of my favorite holiday moments involved my brother-in-law doing charades to get his team members to guess Richard Nixon. All I'll say for now is that he started with the nickname for Richard. It just got uglier (and funnier) from there.



There are certain games I can't play anymore, such as Monopoly. It bores me. I want something more creative than buying and selling. I love Cranium, which I've only played once. Scattergories is good, but it makes me laugh because the timer always annoys my aunt so much. One time she did the whole card using the wrong letter. It's the only time she ever found an answer for every single category. Another time she used the wrong card. Good times. Good times.



Wes got two new board games for Christmas that we haven't tried yet. Hmm, party idea . . . maybe we should have a game night some time? Anyone want to organize?



And then our best game this Christmas . . . I bought Wes a Wii for Christmas. Now, though, I think I bought it more for me. I love it. I also got the Wii Fit, so I tell myself I'm exercising, but I'm really just playing. Well, maybe the yoga and strength training exercises count, but the balance games are just fun, except that they really should count as rehab since I had knee surgery just three months ago. According to the Wii Fit, my right leg is a bit shaky. Well, duh!



We got Guitar Hero a few days ago, a post-Christmas gift. Wes loves it. It's kind of fun, but it stresses me out. I guess it's too performance-oriented for me. Besides, what if I get booed off the stage? Well, then I would need to hurt someone, and who can I hurt when it's a video game doing the booing? It leaves me confused. Really? Booing? That's too American Idol for me.



Different families have different games too. The Sewells like to guess song titles and artists. We'll be riding down the road listening to the radio, and Wes will ask, "Who sings it?" That's not my favorite game, but it's one all the boys in his family play. Sometimes I'll ask when I don't know just as a preventative measure.



We've done the alphabet game in the car on long car trips, you know, where you look for letters of the alphabet in order. Mostly, though, we read on long car trips since we don't struggle with car sickness. Thank goodness.



Okay, it looks like I'm drifting off topic, so I guess I'll wrap it up for now and see what others are posting.

2 Comments:

  • A game night sounds like fun. I can't drawm, and my trivia, musical or otherwise is awful, but a laugh is a laugh. I do like scrabble, and Backwords. I even play that with the kids at school, we pu peek (keep up) in the halls. Other teachers think I am speaking a foreign language LOL

    By Blogger Diana Chartier, at 6:46 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing the nice stuff.



    car games

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home