Blackwater Writing Project

November 10, 2008

Homecoming "Twatch Out!"

One of my new Facebook friends, who is actually a very old acquaintance, invited my husband and I to our college homecoming fraternity gathering. I believe this person has made Sigma Alpha Epsilon his life. Sad it's true, but somehow fraternity seemed to fill what must have been a massive hole in his life. We haven't even thought of returning for anything more than a visit with family. To be honest, visits back to old Middle Tennessee don't always have fond memories for me. Sometimes the memories are fuzzy, and at other times they simply cause me to shutter.

I actually met my husband for the first time in the fraternity house. He was drunk and didn't remember me until the third time we met. I remember his sweater. One of those v-necked thick cotton sweaters outlined in red and blue. I think all frat boys have one. Of course he word a pair of kackis, Docksiders and no socks. He was cute enough, but no big shakes. I didn't drink back then so the amounts of alcohol being consumed around me was something I'd never seen. He didn't make a good first impression.

I guess I shutter to think of some of the studpid things I did back in "The Day". I still shutter, so much so that I'd rather write about something else, but who knows, they say confession is good for the soul.

Homecoming....go Blue Raiders! Honestly we were too drunk by the time we got to the ballgame to know who we were playing. The parade warm-up started at 8:00 with Bloody Marys and breakfast finger foods. Parents were actually invited to these gatherings. My parents never knew of the invitation, and for good reason. They would have yanked me out of that den of iniquity, and pulled me with my 1.9 grade point average back to Chattanooga. Instead they stayed safely at home watching real teams play football.

After the game...I can't remember after the game. So there you have it. Homecomings, too painful to remember. There are a few good memories though,red maple leaves, crisp cool air, wool blazers, bonfires, new outfits (back in the days when we dressed for the game,and hanging our under the bleachers. Twatch Out!

1 Comments:

  • When I go to the mountains, I'll be near your neck of the woods, the Georgia mountains only thirty minutes from Chattanooga. I'm with you. I never invited my parents to college stuff, and I actually changed my permanent address to my local one so that all paperwork came to my local address--pretty sneaky, huh?

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home