Blackwater Writing Project

November 10, 2008

Going to the Mountains

Homecoming does remind me of high school, but not so much of college. It's weird sometimes to teach at the university I attended. It takes away homecoming at the college level. Facebook has actually been more of a homecoming than any homecoming event. I am now in touch with a friend from my freshman year of high school and with a college friend I haven't seen since 1990.

But this topic isn't thrilling me--that's the problem with posting a topic early in the morning and then not writing about it until much later. So I'm ditching homecoming and writing about a different sort of homecoming, more of a visiting, a visit to the mountains Wes and I have planned for sometime during the Christmas holidays.

Wes and I are taking our first vacation alone in years. We do a family trip to the beach with his family every summer, and we used to do a family trip to the mountains with my family every summer until my parents started going up north in the summer. Wes and I miss the mountains, so we decided to return to the mountains this year, but we're going to a part of the mountains we haven't visited, the North Georgia mountains instead of North Carolina or Colorado. I'd love to ski again, but my knee isn't up to it, and we don't want to spend that much money.

Anyway, last week we decided to go to the mountains. I browsed the Internet for cabins and found some awesome choices: a two-bedroom cabin with an outside hot tub next to a waterfall. One of my friends thinks we're nuts for wanting an outside hot tub, but I love to be outside in a hot tub when it's cold. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. I hope it snows.

Of course it has a fireplace, and we've already ordered wood and fire starters. Wes asked if he should take an ax, but I doubt we're supposed to chop up the surrounding woods. We're on a five-acre tract, so we have no close neighbors, thank goodness. Also, almost one whole wall of the cabin is glass--what a view. We're on top of a mountain with great views.

I want to be there now. I don't want to finish this semester, these committee assignments, these classes, the grant that I have yet to start (Rebecca, when do you want to work on that?), this freewrite--no, no, no, I want to pack my suitcase, pack the car, and head to the mountains. Oooh, I'd pack lots of books. In fact, there are some books I plan to request for Christmas (I don't know which ones yet, but I'll make a list).

Every now and then either Wes or I will say, "I'm so excited," and we both grin, thinking about our trip to the mountains. We're paying too much, but we're just doing our part for the economy. I've already mapquested the route and thought about groceries--ironic since I rarely think about what to cook when I'm in Valdosta.

***
Okay, here's another Homecoming topic--let's have a Homecoming for Blackwater Writing Project. I'm suggesting that we plan a party at someone's house, a potluck, for all BWP people. I know everyone won't be able to attend, but I'd love to at least offer a chance for people to meet across ISI years. Lindsi suggested we do it on a weeknight once school is out because most people are just too busy on weekends. First question, then, is when do schools get out for the holidays? What do you think about the idea? Let me hear from you, and we'll try to plan a get-together for December and announce it in the newsletter.

***
Okay, I think I'm through writing for tonight. It's not really long enough, but it was just enough. I'll check to see if anyone else has posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home