Blackwater Writing Project

June 21, 2006

Voice

Here is my voice. It can be loud and harsh, a little brash, and then of course thre is the accent. This even rolls over into my writing. How in the world do I write something which a person when reading hears me speaking? I don't know, but it can be a lot of fun. Unless I am saying, drawing...

I am probably not going to stay on topic because again I id not sleep well and my brain is frazzled. At least tonight I am not tutoriing. Perhaps I'll get to go home and get things done early, and then I can have an early night to bed. Or at least to relax and do nothing; read a book sounds good. I am doing ok reading and keeping up with the boys, but the book I am on now seems to have sat collecting dust more days than I have opened it.

I could just sit here and stare at the screen thinking nothing right now. It is hard to focus. If I liked to jog that is probably what I should do to get the body and mind awake and willing to work.

I will record my poem in a little while, hopefully all the pictures I scanned will look good so that I can choose a couple to illustrate the poem. Gary chose the couple of his dad for me to use. I didn't even realize we had them. I remember Mom giving us the album, but never took time to go through it. The pictures are so much smaller than what we see today. It seemed easy to look at Dad in Vietnam, wonder where the other people are now? But harder were the pictures at the end. Gary and his sister at Christmas and Easter. Pictures taken especially to send to their dad thousands of miles away. They look so posed, stiff, as if this is not soemthing they chose to do. Were they told look serious, not smile? Or were they afraid they might cry? Too long ago for them to remember. There will be more pictures eventually, Mom already said we will get them. Cheryl doesn't want them, and her kids don't seem interested. Phillip has a fascination, but he knew his grandfather for 6 years, and now that he is in the Navy and has been in Iraq, he can associate (is this the right word?) with some of the things that must have happened.

I must check and see if I can get into yahoo, it wan't working a while ago. Maybe I am jinxed today, nothing is working. I am going around in circles with my thoughts.

Gary didn't call this mornign to wake me up. I guessed he had work waiting as soon as he entered the building. I was about to pick up the phone to call him when it rang. There is no lovey dovey stuff, but to hear his voice in the morning gives the day a good start. Its even better when he is in a goofy mood. Never know what to expect then.

A few days ago, we went out for a few hours. Adult time, something I have insisted upon ever since we had kids. Just talking and listening to the band, I chatter away like a squirrel, it never ends. A shiver passed over me, and the topic turned to how I was always cold. Gary is like an electric blanket, always toasty warm, he commented on how I always have popsitoes. I will never look at popsicles again without seeing toes. Wonder if I can find ice cube trays in the shape of toes???

Wow we have passed the halfway mark. Guess I had more to say than I thought.

I wonder what the boys are doing? Sean thinks he might have an ear infection beginning, will have to watchthat, forgot to ask Gary to bring home earplugs, note to self to call. Robert was dozey when he got up, might be time for an early night, before he turns into this monster for whom nothing oges right, and the least little thing said causes an eruption that thunders around the house.

Phillip is on FEX for two weeks. Field Exercises. Little or no communication with the outside world, but also means no shaving. Course the uniforms walk home by themselves when the time is up. Just glad I am not doing his laundry. This time next year he will be in Iraq or Kuwait. Maybe he will get to come home for the holidays. Missed them last year because Iraq is too far for a weekend jaunt.

I think the next time I see my brother I would like to ask him about Northern Ireland. Get more pictures, and really find out some things about him. Being so far away means a detachment in more ways than just separation. There is little we do that is relatable (is this a word?) to the other. We weren't close as kids, but it seems the older we get the more alike we are. When he came to visit a few years ago we drank too much, I kept up with him, what an accomplishment, I drove too fast, didn't want him to beat me, shame, tsk, tsk, and had a great time. Might get to see him this year, he is visiting Disney with his family, we aren't that far from where he'll be. We also are hoping to go to England next year for our 25th. Hard to think I will be married a quarter of a century. That is a long time. I would not change much, given the chance. We have learned a lot along the journey together, and little of it can be put into words and given to others. Our greatest gifts have been the way we stick together and show our kids how much we love this family as a group. Good thing, because part-time nomads that we are, we are all we have.

I think I will stop a few minutes early. Have too many things I ant to do, they all relate to class, and to projects we are working on. I will reread the poem one last time to be sure there are no major changes I wish to make, and look for the pictures I want to use to illustrate.

Signing off. Have a great day. Be happy. Smile. Laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home