Blackwater Writing Project

June 20, 2006

Changing the topic

Well, there's the topic: religion and spirituality. I stare at it, hoping it will morph into something else. Since it won't change, I will. That's one of the perks, after all, of freewriting: complete freedom.

Hmm, what topic should I write about? I haven't been getting stories down that I want to tell. Wes reminded me of some good ones not long ago, but I've already forgotten them. I hate when that happens. I expect my memory to hold ideas and events indefinitely, but it fails me regularly. I type words, then pause, wondering where to go. I have no hooks today, nothing pulling me toward the computer, urging me on. I re-read the page, hoping something will engage me, but nothing does.

I'll blame it on Wes. He's visiting today to take some action shots of teachers and writers at work. We need new digital photos for the brochure. I worry how our community will react to an outsider, then giggle as I imagine Wes as an interloper to the community. They probably feel they already know him, and he suspects they know too much about him.

I wonder if anyone will be willing to participate in the writing to legislators campaign. I would love for everyone to do so, but people have enough requirements already for the ISI. Still, maybe a few people will volunteer. I'll ask. Maybe members of the Advisory Board will do it as well. I need to send them an email. Okay, that's done.

Hmm, I'm struggling to write today, almost wriggling in anticipation for Ivy's demo. I expect good things from her, partly because I've heard great things about her coach's demo. I'm looking forward to the next thing instead of appreciating this moment.

Words wait just outside my consciousness, taunting me, hiding, leaving me chasing half-formed ideas that dissipate as I grab for them.

I like that last line, so I'll stop with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home