Blackwater Writing Project

June 22, 2010

Verbal Blunders

Apparently, I'm the queen of misheard lyrics. I never know what songs are saying, so I just make up my own lyrics and sing along. That worked fine until Wes and I started traveling together, and he started laughing at my lyrics. Now I sing a little bit softer than before, mumbling the words I don't know rather than belting them out. I also don't think often about the implications of the lyrics. Once Wes slows me down and I realize both what the words are and what they imply, I sometimes dislike the song.

Speaking of verbal blunders, I like Spoonerisms. I tried to copy and paste a definition from Wikipedia, but it won't play nice. Spoonerisms involve transposing letters, basically. Grr, I can't even provide a link to Wikipedia right now. If you go to Wikipedia and type in Spoonerism, you'll find the definition. Apparently, my computer or Blogger or Wikipedia won't let me provide shortcuts!

The most common Spoonerism is Wes's family is "whif and en" instead of "if and when." Wes said it once in front of most of his family, and it stuck. Now we use "whif and en" in place of "if and when" fairly regularly although only in front of friends. I'm not sure it's technically still considered a Spoonerism if we use the erroroneous words intentionally.

What are some other Spoonerisms? Wikipedia offers several funny examples, but because of the aforementioned cut and paste problems, I won't be sharing those with you. After all, I can't be expected to type them . . .

Hmm, other verbal blunders . . . I make them all the time, mostly using the wrong word, not the wrong word as in using "in" when I should use "into" but as in using "ketchup" when I mean "ice cream." I wonder if there's a name for that kind of error. Hmm, I haven't found a term for it yet. Maybe it's just called being tired.

I wonder what all the noises are outside of this room. I guess it's construction right outside the building. I kind of want to go check, but I know I need to be writing, so I'll keep sitting here writing, wondering that's going on that I'm not a part of. Not that I want to help with construction, but I just want to know that's what it is.

Yeah, I'm struggling to stay on topic now. It feels like half the day is gone. Yesterday was busy with really no breaks except for lunch and dinner. I stayed in the ISI room, typing up comments until 5:00.

I went home, unloaded the dishwasher, printed Megan's comments, typed Megan's letter, printed that. Then I sent Emily a few more RSVPs that had some in, loaded the dishwasher, ordered pizza (my version of cooking last night), and took a quick break with Wes while we ate pizza. I made the monkey bread and started slicing oranges while Wes replaced light bulbs in the kitchen. Wes took over orange duty while I went and ironed two shirts for him. Sometime during all that, he scrubbed the tub since I'm not supposed to breathe those chemicals.

I started entering all the email addresses for BWP/SGWP past participants into Windows Live. When Wes finished, we filled out a checklist for our real estate agent about our current house. Some of those questions, I had no clue about. I couldn't even understand the questions! We left some blank to ask her about today. Then, I finished entering the email addresses. It took a while. I need to send out the newsletter, but I can't do that until I enter all the email addresses and figure out how to create a group.

I started looking for user guides about how to enter groups because Windows Live is not intuitive. I found a section on public groups, but the only way to enter them is to use people with valdosta.edu email addresses. Hello! I don't need to create a group consisting of only VSU people. Surely, other people have this same problem. About 11:30 when I was ready to throw stuff and punch people, we went to bed. Then the alarm went off at 6:15 a.m., and today started with cooking the monkey bread, getting ready for the ISI, stopping by Harveys for milk (which someone besides me had better drink), and lugging breakfast and my regular bag o'stuff to the ISI. The shoulder bags were so heavy today that I actually took the elevator (gasp!).

Despite the tone of these last few paragraphs, I'm not whining. I'm just tired. I enjoyed making the monkey bread. It reminds me of past ISIs; plus, it's really good. I've always wanted to make it but never needed to because either Adam or Lindsi made it. Now I have the recipe and know how to do it. That's a good thing--or maybe a bad thing.

Monkey bread also reminds me of Christmas. My sister-in-law makes it every Christmas morning, and my mother-in-law makes breakfast casserole, pretty much the same one I made for the first day of the ISI.

Yeah, I've definitely rambled today, but people expect that of me. Why disappoint at this stage?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home