Blackwater Writing Project

June 26, 2008

Melodious Music

I'm sure we've all had some sort of impactful serendipitous moment, some occurrence of chance, of coincidence, that makes us question our place in the world. But, have you ever heard the angelic chimes that coincide with something so wondrous and fateful that it makes your heart ache? I have.

It all began about 9 years ago. I had recently moved to Valdosta to be with my then fiancé, The Spawn of Satan. One day during our usual lunch at Palms, a new friend of her’s showed up who was introduced to me as James; immediately I felt some sort of connective clang resound in the recesses of my mind. I had no idea what it meant, but I new something had just clicked into place. Fast-forward 2 and a half years. SoS is now gone from the picture and I have just began my first days of college.
During the preceding summer I made some friends from my job, and we all went out to Remington every weekend to celebrate our youth and joy of life - which is also where we met Joey (yep, another click). My first day of Spanish class brought to my attention the need to study Spanish using tapes to go along with the workbook (and the need to purchase light-bulbs, my bedside lamp had recently blown - so I went and bought two packages to have spares, another clang). Two months later, while checking out the required Spanish tapes I again ran into James, whom I hadn't seen in over two years. At first, he didn't recognize me, but I knew him immediately (yep, another clang resounded). Minutes after retiring to the lab to begin work he came in and asked if he knew me. We caught up on all the preceding years' gossip and exchanged information in case either of us heard of something fun to do here in stuffy old V-town.
Later that night Joey and I went to see a movie, he was trying to help me forget about a recent ex (Black-hearted vermal Demon witch). After the movie we were going to go to a friend's house to party, but he expressed the need for a new light bulb. "Why, I have some at my place!" I exclaimed. When we arrived to get him a replacement bulb, I decided to check the answering machine. It was James asking me to join him and some friends at a birthday party in Remington; I asked Joey and we decided "Why the hell not!?"
Once there my breath was taken away as my eyes locked with this unimaginable Spanish beauty with James' group. There was an instant connection and the sound of angelic voices singing squeezed out the raucous clamor of the barroom juke-box playing Elton John's Song for You.
That was almost 8 years ago. That Spanish beauty is now my wife, Davina, and every time I look at her I still hear bells ring and voices sing. And Song for You is still our song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home