Blackwater Writing Project

June 12, 2008

Food

What can I say about food? I love food. That should be quite obvious from looking at me. I could never have an eating disorder because I love food way too much. Over the years I have had to go to drastic measures to try to keep the weight off. Drastic for me means paying a personal trainer $480 for 24 sessions. Did that curb my eating habits? Um, no although I do use the all natural peanut butter as opposed to Jif.

One of the things that I miss the most about living in Douglas, Georgia, is the food. Who would have known that little ol' Douglas would be the food mecca that it is. Maybe it is because it hasn't been completely infiltrated by all of the chain restaurants.

There is my favorite Japanese restaurant Tokyo Express where I get the Hibachi Ribeye Steak, the spring rolls, and order of vegetable rolls . The lady (I won't even try to spell her name) who owns it always knows to give me the Sirachi hot sauce for my steak.

Then there's Bobby's, home of the Italian ice although I'm not sure that what they serve is authentic. It really doesn't matter what the frozen concoction is called. It just tastes good. I always get a BLT to go with it. Now I know that there is nothing special about a BLT, but they seem to know exactly how much mayo to put on the bread. And as someone who doesn't really like mayo, I appreciate it. Their breakfast biscuits aren't bad either.

Pa Bill's has the best stuffed baked potato. What is a stuffed baked potato? It is a potato that had been baked and cubed. Then pulled pork is placed in the middle and smothered in melted cheddar and served with a side of sour cream. It is comfort food personified.

Finally, Holt's Bakery is the place to get your sweet on. They have the best donuts on the planet. (Sorry, Dixie Cream.) From glazed (my favorite) to cream filled, you name it, they have it. They also have a wide assortment of cookies. My favorite cookies are the tea fills with their pastels centers. You can also order cakes; the chocolate pound cake is a favorite. And if you want something truly decadent, you can get you some pecan divinity. Don't think that they forgot the kids: they also have cupcakes with enough icing to induce a sugar coma and topped with novelty rings.

Now that I have been writing about my favorite food places, I realize that it's not just the food that I savor. It's the memories associated with those places. I remember my friend Sandy who shared her love of the stuffed baked potato with me. I remember my cheerleaders whose moms would bring them Italian ices while we made run through signs. I remember my former principal who always made sure we had a chocolate pound cake for the press box at home games. They are all good memories indeed. It is no wonder that whenever I go back to Douglas, I always try to go to as many of those places and get as much food as I can.

1 Comments:

  • When you read that it should be clear that you love food by the way you look, Lindsi and I both looked at each other as if to say, "What's she talking about?"

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home