Blackwater Writing Project

June 27, 2007

Word Confusion

Misheard Song Lyrics:
  • INXS, "Suicide Blonde," I was hungry one day when I first heard this song and thought the words were "Soup and Salad Bar." I sang those lyrics for several years until Wes heard me.
  • The Pretenders, I can't even publish what I thought that song said, but I'll give you the line that confused me so that you can having fun trying to guess (you'll never get it right, though): "gonna use my, my, my imagination 'cause I'm gonna make you see, no one else here, no one like me." The word I couldn't decipher was "imagination."

In my defense, at the time I couldn’t look up song lyrics on the Internet.

Weird pronuniciations I’ve heard (or said):

  • "bomb" pronounced as "bum" as in "We had a bum threat at school today"--immediately, I imagined crowds of buns outside the school, threatening to enter, and students not having to take tests because of the threat
  • “throat lozenge” pronounced as “throat lounger”—again, I didn’t know what a Sucrets was until Wes laughed at my pronounciation. Now, any time I have a cough, he offers to get me a “throat lounger” and grins. I think it’s clear that I don’t hit him enough.

Bumper Stickers (and Helmet Stickers):

  • Save water; shower togther
  • God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.
  • Hair by Helmet

4 Comments:

  • So they were talking about bombs, you heard bums and you pictured buns? I know typo, but given the prompt I thought it was funny.

    By Blogger blindsi, at 9:06 AM  

  • I used to listen to music in the 80's too... MTV had just become available and it changed my little world. I'm still trying to figure out "imagination."

    I love "Hair by Helmet."

    By Blogger Sheri, at 9:08 AM  

  • I like the bumper sticker, God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

    By Blogger agaither, at 9:09 AM  

  • People used to make fun of me because I said, "Flag" with a flat a and "warshing machine."

    By Blogger kade, at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home