Blackwater Writing Project

June 27, 2007

Word Play

When I think of word play, I think of those clever, or not-so-clever signs outside country churches that call all sinners to repentance. There was a church in Fitzgerald, right across the street from the high school that never got their signs grammatically correct. Either words were misspelled or the wrong homophone was used. It drove me crazy. I wanted to get out of my car and change the signs myself.

I pictured the white-haired church secretary trying to post these kernels of wisdom by sounding out words, or maybe the pastor himself was responsible. I never saw an actual person out there sliding in the sign letters. After seeing these paragons of bad grammar every day for three years, I wondered if the "mistakes" were intentional - maybe a way to get the faculty of the high school to actually stop by for conversation or conversion (a trap that unsuspecting English teachers, armed with their red pens, would find hard to resist). I even considered bringing the sign up one day at an English Department meeting, but in Fitzgerald, churches are serious business. I did not with to offend anyone, so I remained silently annoyed.

3 Comments:

  • A colleague and I keep wanting to do a conference presentation on church signs. Some are clever; others miss the mark. Your post reminds me of Headlines on Jay Leno. Wes and I usually stay up late on Monday nights to catch it. The wedding announcements make me laugh the hardest. I would probably refuse to marry someone if I had some of the names they have. Our favorite from this past Monday night was the Pickle-Rider wedding. Poor kids.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:07 AM  

  • On a side note, have you read _Eats, Shoots, and Leaves_? It's a funny, engaging book about grammar by Lynn Truss.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:08 AM  

  • I worked with a guy in Atlanta that sent his kids out to take pictures of the mistakes on random billboards and signs. They'd have a field day in Fitzgerald; they wouldn't have to go far from campus! Maybe you should let the kids take pictures and post a wall of grammar gripes-then the kids point it out, not you...evil, yes, but fun.

    By Blogger blindsi, at 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home