Blackwater Writing Project

June 25, 2007

The Book Ban

The draft below was prompted by remembering driving to Chattahoochee every week one semester, so it really is related to the prompt Car Stories.

***

Okay, I’ve done enough for one day, I told myself as I shut down my laptop and pushed away the scores of texts surrounding me. During that semester I had exiled myself to Chattahoochee, FL, during the week to work on a book, driving back to Valdosta every weekend to see my husband. I checked the clock: 7:30 p.m. Turning on the television, I realized reception was worse than usual.

What will I do tonight? I wondered, needing a break from the research. I decided to drive into the small town to find a novel to read. I rushed downstairs, worried that stores would close in the small town of Chattahoochee before I got there. Just across the bridge from Chattahoochee was a slightly bigger town, Sneads, with a much bigger grocery story, so I headed there.

Walking quickly through the story, I found a few magazines but no books. I walked up to the cashier. “Do y’all sell novels?” I asked politely.

“Novels?” she asked, her mouth dropped open in disbelief. “This is a grocery store.”

I urged myself to stay calm. “I know, but lots of grocery stores sell books as well.”

“Books?” she repeated, a mixture of disdain and confusion on her face.

“Um, okay. If you don’t sell books, can you tell me where I might find them in Sneads?” I asked.

“You cain’t buy no books in Sneads!” she insisted as if I were asking for Playboy and Hustler.

Now my face displayed confusion—and perhaps a bit of fear. What kind of town doesn’t sell books? I headed back to the truck and drove to Chattahoochee, where I finally found a small selection of novels in a drug store. But now every time I pass a sign for Sneads, I think of it as the place you cain’t buy no books.

4 Comments:

  • WOW!!! No Books. That is weird.

    By Blogger agaither, at 9:09 AM  

  • This is a funny story, but it was also pretty realistic. I felt like I was in this nightmare continuum from which neither I nor that girl's stupidity would ever escape.

    By Blogger Kat, at 9:11 AM  

  • Hahahahahaha!!!

    YOU CAIN'T BUY NO BOOKS IN SNEADS!!!

    Or Alma, or Pearson...

    By Blogger Andrea, at 9:16 AM  

  • Living in small towns for the past 5 years, I find I go absolutely CRAZY in Barnes & Nobles a few times each year.

    I love the image of the store clerk. I can see the look on her face...

    I want to open a bookstore when I retire - I guess I won't try it in Snead.

    By Blogger Sheri, at 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home