Blackwater Writing Project

February 28, 2007

Divine Inspiration

This poem is the result of a spontaneous overflow of emotion...or whatever the quote is! ;o)

It does rhyme, but I hope you'll critique it anyway! Thanks in advance.

-Jason

As one who views sand but sees a terra of pearls,
Our Father knows who is not of this world.

If righteous meant recognizing a litany of wrongs,
A Pharisee would have inherited Jesus’s throngs.

If all were judged according to community,
Lot would have burned for eternity.

If the perdition of a Brother meant you had no hope,
Peter would also have hung by a rope.

And if politics was the name of the game,
Christ would never have surrendered his reign.

Indeed, if a soul was judged by corporal sins,
Who among us would ever get in?

No, we all have a key to the Heavenly gate,
And only two things determine our fate:

Loving God with all of our heart
Is essential from the start.

Next is a call to love neighbor as Self,
But this begs the question of our own spiritual health.

Beloved, before we can accomplish this task,
There are several questions each must ask.

Among them is pondering the meaning of love;
Does it mean judging as the One up above?

Next is the condition of our own self-image;
Do we tend to see Satan when we peer at our visage?

Finally we must question this imperative’s meaning;
Does it call for us to ignore all political leanings?

In order to do as our Savior has asked,
We first must dispose of our temporal mask.

This struggle is Mighty from the very beginning,
But with Him as our guide we are assured of winning.

1 Comments:

  • Hmm, I am, of course, curious about what prompted the spontaneous overflow. Do tell . . . I think there may be a cool story there.

    Plus, you're making me re-think my image of you. I didn't see you as the religous poetry type.

    I know you wanted people to critique the poem, but I'm not comfortable critiquing religious poetry. I worry that I will offend someone's religious sensibility; plus, you know I'm not a fan of rhyme. I will say, though, that the only place the rhyme really sounds forced to me is with the word "visage." Yes, I know it's a word, but it's a rarely used one. (Sorry to be a critique wimp.)

    It's cool to hear you on the blog. It's been a while.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home