Blackwater Writing Project

February 15, 2007

Cars hmmm

My immediate thought is NOOOOOOO! My son will be 16 next week, and although he is not ready to get his license just yet, within the next year and a half we will have 2 teenage drivers. Two kids riding and sliding around ditches, thanks Lindsi, I am now more scared than before. I shouldn't worry, both these boys are more sensible than their older brother about whom I am hearing tales already and he is almost 22, so old to have so much hidden from me.

I didn't have any tales of horror to hide from my parents, its easy when you don't drive. I do however have one from y hubby. I thought I was so clever. Learning to drive and able to get around on my own, had to be extra careful of the SP's on base, I tried to reverse into the drive and heard crunnnch. OOPS! I pulled out, turned around and pulled in frontwards. The garage door was dented. I played innocent and never thought about it again till now. That is the only untruth I ever told that I know of to hubby.

Outside a man in a motorized wheelchair is slowly making his way down the street. How much fun would that be I wonder. Or the wonder of the world unveiled a few years ago, the contraption where a person stands up and controls a two wheeled motorized vehicle.

Sean will be a safe driver, maybe overly cautious and angry drivers will roar past him as he remains oblivious to their angst. Robert will be my demon. He is saving now, I have an idea hiw first withdrawal will be a ticket. . . That or for a tow truck. The eldest needed a locksmith three times in three weeks. I have no room to talk. A year ago I locked myself out of the car three times in 2 months. It just didn't cost me as much, a phone call for the spare sorted it out.

I remember wet, cold, muddy days in England. Dad would say hop in the car we're going on a mystery tour. This was usually to collect firewood. One time though we got stuck in the mud. Mum can't drive, so dad had to stay in the car. Her lovely white shoes and the outfit she wore were splattered and brown with wet gooey mud when we finally got going. Or how about the crank not working so run and push the car till it takes off leaving you almost face down in the road. Balance was a must in those days.

No matter how bad the old days were, there was a lot of fun and laughs.

2 Comments:

  • I miss all days in England--the rainy ones, the hot ones, the days we were having a bit of weather. My first car was a 1974 MG Midget convertible that I got for Christmas the year I turned sixteen. I didn't know how to drive a standard, but that didn't stop me from taking it for a drive. My friends and I had so much fun in that car--yes, friends, plural, even though the car was only supposed to hold two people. That was in the pre-mandatory-seatbelt days, so we were pretty dumb. Thank goodness we weren't hurt. I put my mother's LTD into the ditch at least once when I had a carload of my fellow One-Act-Players with me. Eventually, I had to fess up to that one, I think. Wes will probably be moving up to a bigger car, eventually. He needs one to haul around all his photography equipment. Hmm, okay, so apparently, I quit responding and started writing. When did that happen?

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:11 PM  

  • Your kids will make it! And if you think long enough, I'm sure you have secrets you'll never tell

    By Blogger blindsi, at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home