Blackwater Writing Project

September 14, 2010

Mother Nature: Sadistic ________.

Fall brings to mind all the incredibly cute fall fashion clothes that I can't wear. Mainly because Mother Nature hates South Georgia. I'm not sure what South Georgia did to eternally offend Ma. I've got a few ideas, but most of them come after she started punishing us. (Although if Ma knew her stuff, she would practice "behavior modification" and wouldn't punish unless it served an "academic purpose." I hate education classes.) Every fall I peruse the racks at my favorite stores: NY and Co., Khols, Belk's, which is better than Penny's, and even Target. I know, I'm a cheapskate, but I'm ok with that. However, all of these stores have cute sweaters, scarves, and hats all in autumn colors. My hair looks absolutely amazing with fall colors. Even the burnt orange compliments my auburn locks. Thanks to the swealtering heat that mock me I don't get to wear the cute clothes. And the boots! Such cute boots that I will never be able to wear. This isn't Ma's fault, it's dad's fault, or rather his mother's fault. My calves are so huge that I can't fit into ANY boots. Cowboy boots, hooker thigh boots, mid-calve boots, and knee high boots all mock me from their stands in the store. I would give anything to fit into a pair of boots that I could wear with a cute blue jean skirt or plain dress and shawl, like Reese Witherspoon in "Sweet Home Alabama," not in a old granny shawl. Well obviously not anything. The gym has been calling my name for a while and I a good at ignoring it. And anyone wearing a scarf during fall in South Georgia is just kidding herself. I bet by the time she gets home she is sweating so much she needs another shower.

Good thing about fall weather, my feet finally stop sweating in my flip-flops.

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Nikki, at 10:06 PM  

  • I love it. Why on earth do we have to wear shorts at Christmas? Why is our winter only three weeks long and awfully cold. (Do you remember the beginning of January when the temperature dropped to negative 2 or something?)

    I lived in the middle of nowhere growing up, and I remember freezing January mornings as I walked to the end of the dirt road and waited for the school bus. I was always really excited when I walked past my family's pond and saw a thin sheet of ice covering patches of the pond when it was really cold outside. I remember thinking I could go ice-skating when I got home from school. Haha. I hated those mornings--waiting for the bus while pushing my toes against grass to disrupt the frozen droplets clinging to the blades.

    Now that I bike to and from, well, everywhere, I would take a freezing wait at the end of that dirt road over any hot South Georgia summer days.

    By Blogger Kristy S., at 10:13 PM  

  • Hahaha! I love it! I love your auburn locks... and I'm very, very jealous of them. You're right... I bet you look awesome in fall colors. Umber, that awesome deep purple, green... oh I'm jealous. : ) As for boots, I can't find cute ones that I absolutely love that aren't heeled. I just can't take a full day of teaching in heels. Of any sort or size. Bring on the "teacher shoes." You know the ones. Clarks, Merrill's, Naturalizer, Bare Traps... Haha. I do wish Mother Nature would have some pity on South Georgia... fall's my favorite, favorite, FAVORITE season. I love it. (Ok, I love winter/Christmas just as much!)

    By Blogger Carrie Beth, at 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home