Blackwater Writing Project

June 30, 2008

College Recess

Why don't we have recess when in college?

Yes, yes, I know we have athletic electives like weight-lifting, tennis, swimming, etc. but why not a class-break time where we all gather to exhaust ourselves with running, screaming, and games of tag. I loved recess when I was a kid. It was the one time of the day where I had the opportunity to not worry about math I didn't understand and history dates I just wouldn't memorize. All of my friends and I could gather for whatever it may be that would increase our activity levels and stimulate our minds. So why not in college?

Imagine . . .
You're in Dr. Sewell's class, you're learning about verb-tense agreement, and suddenly the bell rings - it's play time! All the classes in West Hell would regurgitate their students as we all made a bee-line for the doors and freedom. There'd be coaches with balls, nets, and rackets for us to play with, and after a rousing hour of releasing pent-up energy we could return to class and pick-up where we left off - having relaxed from squeezing one-more-drop of education into an already over-flowing vortex.

Would it really be that simple to better concentrate? Would it actually promote active learning and raise sleep from weary heads? I doubt it, but it would be fun to dunk over your professors. "Yea, you in my house now!"

1 Comments:

  • Hmm, I wonder if people really learn about verb-tense agreement in my classes. Maybe literary present tense . . .? I'd love to have recess, but in a fifty-minute class, well, I'm not sure there's time.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home