Blackwater Writing Project

June 15, 2006

Food, Its what We Eat

I have decided to sit in the Oasis area, wonder what it will be called now that the Oasis snack bar is no more? The first thing that struck me, before I wrote at least, was that we really need new covers on the tables. I do not think they get cleaned too often or well, and they have been here as long as I have, 5 years.

We started talking as a small group today of foods, especially since the cake Bertha provided was so obvious a starting point. I am glad we have a couple of people who unselfishly give of their time to provide good food for us to feast upon. Now where else was I going with this? I don’t know. It has run away from me like water in a bathtub. So I will start again. Hmmm, where to go with my thoughts.

Without food we would be no more, but food is not all we are or need.

Randomness. WOOF!

Was it a real dog, is it hungry?

Yesterday I was stopped by someone wanting to know if we ere done in the room. I was unsure what to say because it came out of nowhere and we were just going to lunch. Asked why, the speaker responded that she was looking for leftovers, since we usully put them out. Did we? I wondered. According to her on Monday we had put out doughnuts, this would not have been possible since we had bagels and bread. I did not say this just that we were not done yet.

They are putting in a new bagel place right here where the Oasis used to be. I can’t imagine having just a few minutes to grab something before, and during when you have no time to go elsewhere so all you eat is bagels all day. Maybe they will serve different things as well. I like bagels but not that much. It’s a shame Oasis is gone. They had great sandwiches, soups, salads not exciting but offered and had a variety, as well as the coffee in the morning. Surely the new place will have coffee? Don’t they all?

There are birds outside singing, what messages do they send to each other, do the parents call out to bring home a worm in the same manner as we call spouses to bring milk?

Gary and I seem not to communicate well at all some days. For a couple of days I knew we were running low on milk, finally I knew I had to go to Walmart and get the goods for breakfast, so I grabbed milk. I had called to remind Gary I need to stop and get doughnuts etc. You think he would know where I am going. Or maybe just mention he bought milk that afternoon.
Nope. I get home and now we have 2 gallons of milk in the fridge, I was supposed to know he would pick it up, not sure how. Meanwhile, he mentioned how I could have remembered cat litter that he had forgotten. I just remarked how this could have been whistled across the space that we used talking on the phone. He didn’t know I was going to Walmart. What a night!
Since I have been in school Gary has really become my rock. Since I was still working and rarely home food stocks started running low. My husband took it upon himself to become the one who would on his way home stop and buy groceries. I do miss my way of keeping the shelves stocked and not so much prepackaged but it is a load I do not have to bear right now. Because many classes do not get out early enough to get home and prepare a meal as well as having time to eat before kids needed to be in bed, Gary also took over this area. Now the kitchen appears to be his, I am told to keep out, and even the kids remark at the ability to remember how to work around the gadgetry and food stuffs. Just wait. Their turn is coming. Time to learn to cook. They do pretty well on packaged goods, peeling potatoes is something I am not sure will ever be mastered. Instant mash in their homes, YUCK!

Old Mother Hubbard
Went to the cupboard
To fetch her poor doggie a bone
But when she got the
The cupboard was bare
And so the poor doggie
Had none

Little miss muffet sat on her tuffet
Eating her curds and whey

Red riding hood was taking food to grandmother

Little tommy tucker sings for his supper

All the things we sing to little kids seem to revolve around food. Is there a reason for this?

It is distracting to sit here and see such a pretty day outside. I want to be out there, but that is only because I am in here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home