Blackwater Writing Project

October 10, 2006

Self Hide Outs

I am my favorite hide out. When you’re a shy person, you can easily hide out right there in plain view. I pull inside and think my own thoughts, or I participate fully in conversations with those around me, only without letting any of my clever comments make it out of my mouth.

Teaching has stretched me in a good way and forced me to leave the hide out of shyness, at least when I’m in the classroom. I have to be the coach, guiding conversation and sharing my writing as a model.

My writing was another hideout. I get down all kinds of thoughts and feelings on the page (or the screen). Often, no one reads what I write. Even when I was in school, the teacher was usually the only one who read what I wrote.

After participating in the writing project this summer, one notion that I came away with was that I needed to share my writing with my students. There went another hide out!

At first I was reticent to air my musings before a class full of critical students. After half a semester of writing with my students and sharing my free-writes and drafts with them, I’ve found it to be very liberating. My writing no longer has to be a hide out. I can share it with others, and in the process, it becomes better. My students are always enthusiastic about hearing what I’ve written and offer great revision suggestions.

I still hide out in my shyness in many social situations. Maybe introverted people need to hide out in themselves periodically.

1 Comments:

  • It's good to read your words. I enjoy sharing my writing with others too, and I love hearing other people's words.

    I hide out in writing too, drafting lots of material that no one ever sees.

    Hideouts seem necessary sometimes.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home